Indeed! Things had changed a bit. I was able to spend some good family time: one birthday as well as Thanksgiving. I ended up staying almost a whole month.
Among the things I was able to accomplish were:
- Dad enrolled in VA and had first physical exam.
- Applied with Area III on Aging -- Meals on Wheels 3x/week.
- Decluttered back room and Dad’s office as well as some clothes closets
- disposed of boxes of outdated supplements and other assorted items – at least 10 banana boxes
- organized a file for money management/ collected statements from since 2007 and before.
- engaged housekeeper/eldercare person of Pat’s recommendation 2hr/day 5 days a week and oriented her
- set up pill box and reminder list system for meds
- Cooked lunch & dinner meals most of the time.
- got Dad in the habit of fixing their own breakfasts – albeit only instant oatmeal
- got dad using his cell phone again
- Arranged for Mom to meet new Doctor – provided background, list of Rx and list of family concerns.
- programmed "home" and other common destinations into a GPS for getting around town